Re: Action item: new examples for Guideline 3.1

----- Original Message -----
From: "John M Slatin" <john_slatin@austin.utexas.edu>
To: <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
Sent: Wednesday, May 12, 2004 8:35 PM
Subject: Action item: new examples for Guideline 3.1

<proposed>

Example 1. A document that exists in English, French, and German
versions.

A corporate Web server identifies the country where a user's IP address
is located. It displays the site in the appropriate language.  A user's
screen reader automatically uses the appropriate pronunciation rules,
based on the presence of a language-identifier in the document.

</proposed>

---
Roberto Scano:
I suggest a rewording of this... because usually (also following WCAG
1.0 techniques for checkpoint 11.3:
http://www.w3.org/TR/WAI-WEBCONTENT-TECHS/#tech-content-preferences).
This is "content negotiation" that must be done following the user
preferences for the user agent. Eg: an american that use internet
connection in an hotel in Venice, the IP is italian and - if we follow
this example - the page will be show in italian.
I propose this rewording:

<proposed>

Example 1. A document that exists in English, French, and German
versions.

A corporate Web server identifies the language set by the user in the
user agent preferences. It displays the site in the appropriate
language.  A user's
screen reader automatically uses the appropriate pronunciation rules,
based on the presence of a language-identifier in the document.

</proposed>

---
John M Slatin:

<proposed>

*        Example 2: an acronym.

The characters "W3C" are marked as an acronym the first time they appear
on a Web page. A person using a screen reader would hear, "World Wide
Web Consortium.";  Later in the document, the user hears the characters
"W 3 C" spoken one at a time, because they are not marked as an acronym.

</proposed>

---
Roberto Scano:
In a lot of W3C Reccomandation, like ATAG 1.0, the conformance claim
declare W3C as an abbreviation, not acronym: <abbr title="the World Wide
Web Consortium">W3C</abbr>. I Suggest to change this example with one
like these: http://www.acronymsearch.com/FAQ_001.htm

These two eurocents for now ;-)