RE: Example: Real-time feed of satellite photos

I think we are all on the same page.

Now we need to figure out how to word this such that the person doesn't need
to go to a non-normative doc to figure out if they passed.

Yvette's latest draft:

<suggestion>

For non-text content, provide text alternatives. Whenever possible the text
alternative should be equivalent to the non-text content, meaning it serves
the same function or conveys the same information as the non-text content.
If a text equivalent is not possible due to the nature of the non-text
content (for example: music and visual art), provide a text label or a
description.

</suggestion>

 is closer but still doesn't define "not possible due to nature of non-text
content" enough.  One can see people defining that in all sorts of way
including.  It is visual in nature.   It is meant for regular education
students.   It is scientific in nature.  Etc.

what is it that makes these different.  That makes them indescribable?

Or do we say, where the content can be described in X words or less?

Is this really what divides what should be described from what shouldn't?

Or do we just say, provide at least an X word description unless the
function or content can be described in less?

Thoughts?

Gregg

Gregg C Vanderheiden Ph.D.
Professor - Ind. Engr. & BioMed Engr.