RE: Reopened issues - week of 19 April 2004

From: Wendy A Chisholm <wendy@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2004 15:39:55 -0400
To: "Gregg Vanderheiden" <gv@trace.wisc.edu>, "'John M Slatin'" <john_slatin@austin.utexas.edu>, <jasonw@ariel.ucs.unimelb.edu.au>
Cc: <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>

At 03:25 PM 4/28/2004, Gregg Vanderheiden wrote:
>1) We definitely need to define these terms if we are going to use them

Perhaps the existing definitions need some tweaking.  From the glossary in
the 11 March 2004 draft:

programmatically located

Programmatically located means that the meaning can be found, though there
may be multiple meanings for a word.

Editorial Note: This provision is dependent on the definition of a standard
way to associate dictionaries and the availability of on-line dictionaries.
<http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/WD-WCAG20-20040311/#programmaticlocatedef>

programmatically determined

Programmatically determined means that the specific meaning can be determined.
<http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/WD-WCAG20-20040311/#programmaticdetermineef>

>2) note that "data model" and "markup"  are programmatically determinable -
>but "context" usually is not.     Even "data  model' and 'markup' are not
>however unless they are done in a standard way known to the 'program' that
>is 'programmatically determining'.   Thus the techniques or rather the
>checklist is needed to determine if this item has been met I think.

It would be helpful to have real-world examples implemented in a variety of
technologies that demonstrate these ideas.  We could then generalize the
examples and include them in the informative section of the guidelines then
build upon them in techniques.

--wendy

--
wendy a chisholm