Proposal: Technical and usable accessibility differentiation, accessibility heuristics

From: Jens Meiert <jens.meiert@erde3.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 10:38:13 +0200 (MEST)
To: "W3C WAI" <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>

What do you think about an extra section in the WAI documentation (I don't
think it's WCAG/UAAG/ATAG specific) where we a) exemplify the
characteristics of 'technical accessibility' and 'usable accessibility', and
b) offer some accessibility heuristics?

I remember IBM which uses this differentiation and nine heuristics ([1,2]
being good examples of what I suggest) to illustrate Web accessibility
issues as well as its range, and I thought it might be a quite good
supplement to our very special approach. (Finally, it would emphasize the
relatedness to usability issues since this has often been critized, er...)

I'm sorry if I overlooked a similar suggestion in our documents -- I found
one occurrence of the terms 'technical accessibility' and 'usable
accessibility' (in the EOWG minutes [3]), but I don't know yet.

All the best,
 Jens.

[1] http://www-306.ibm.com/ibm/easy/eou_ext.nsf/publish/3848
[2] http://www-306.ibm.com/ibm/easy/eou_ext.nsf/Publish/3860