  From: Gregg Vanderheiden
  To: w3c-wai-gl@w3.org
  Sent: Thursday, April 15, 2004 5:45 PM
  Subject: LEvel definition

  1- There was a lot of good discussion today.  The following is my best capture of ideas from the meeting.  It is based primarily off of John's posting with rework to try to capture peoples comments as we went along.

  This is not a consensus doc but just one that is close than what we had before.

  Feel free to comment on or create additional versions like this or different.  We will pick up and see if we can come up with something we can use for the time being as we move forward to our next task

  Gregg

  ----------------

  All Levels

  Are testable.   Some success criteria are machine-testable. Others require human judgment. Success criteria that require human testing are capable of yielding consistent results among multiple testers.

  Level 1 success criteria

  1.    Do not set limits on content or presentation;

  2.    Achieve a minimum level of accessibility through markup,

  scripting, or other technologies that interact with user agents,

  including assistive technologies;

  3.    The working group felt could be reasonably be applied to all Web resources;

  Level 2 success criteria

  1.    Build on Level 1;

  2.   Increase accessibility both though additional facilitation of user agent based accessibility and through content and/or presentation that provides direct accessibility without requiring intervention by user agents or assistive technology;

  3.    The working group felt could be reasonably be applied to all Web resources;

  Level 3 success criteria

  1.          Go beyond Level 1 and 2 to increase direct and user agent enhanced accessibility