area+alt (was: Conformance Testing Proposal)

From: Joe Clark <joeclark@joeclark.org>
Date: Mon, 5 Apr 2004 20:12:31 -0500 (CDT)
To: WAI-GL <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>

> David's analysis makes it clear that there's a significant problem with
> the way graphical user agents handle image maps when images are turned
> off.

An edge case that will need to be fixed. No doubt it will be. We are,
after all, documenting the problem in this very thread (also elsewhere).

> But Chris' proposal that we require redundant text links for image
> maps (whether server- or client-side) *for now* seems like bringing the
> dread "until user agents" clauses back in through the back door even
> though we've tried hard to keep them out of the guidelines themselves.

Indeed it does, and should thus be rejected wholesale.

area+alt has been part of the spec since 1999.

<http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/struct/objects.html#adef-alt>

WCAG 2.0 won't be ready until 2005. Authors won't have to conform right
then and there. That will have given user-agent makers six full years to
comply with one easy part of the HTML spec. I don't see why we should be
appeasing nonstandard user agents or any of their creators who can't be
bothered to follow the spec.

Nice.

--

    Joe Clark | joeclark@joeclark.org