Re: Abbreviations and Acronyms: [techs] Latest HTML Techniques Draft

John M Slatin wrote:

><abbr title="By the way">BTW</abbr>, I wonder how the linguists feel
>about making acronym and abbreviation synonymous?

I'm left scratching my head at times wondering what is going on with
decisions such as these.  I don't understand the logic behind this at
all.  For an organisation that wants to support a semantically rich web
I can't see it as a step forward, and for all those who put a lot of
time into marking up their documents in a meaningful way, what does it
say to them?

Geoff Deering