Re: Supporting Technology

I agree that we do not want to reinforce the notion that WCAG only applies
to HTML and need to be careful with our examples.  The Techniques Gateway
should be a high-level discussion about making content accessible and I
don't think it should include technology-specific examples.  Instead of
talking about how to use the alt attribute on the image element, we should
discuss how to write a text equivalent for a variety of images used in a
variety of contexts.

Although the current draft of the Techniques Gateway [1] has several
HTML-specific examples, refer to the editorial notes scattered through the
document: "This paragraph is HTML-specific. Need broader range of examples,
or more generic explanation."  Each of those editorial notes is a to-do for
the editor to generalize the concept so that it is not HTML-specific.

If I interpret the consensus of the Techniques Task Force correctly, I
think the vision of the Gateway is:
After each general discussion we will link to a list of relevant
techniques.  For example, after the text equivalents discussion in the
Gateway, we'll have several links into the HTML Techniques (e.g., using alt
on image, using the object element), SVG Techniques (e.g., using the title
and desc elements with the g element), etc.  But we will not have HTML
examples included in the discussion of text equivalents in the Gateway.  I
think that we can ban HTML examples in the general discussion because there
will be plenty of HTML-specific discussion in the HTML Techniques.

--wendy

[1] http://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/WCAG20/WD-WCAG20-TECHS-GATEWAY-20031205.html

--
wendy a chisholm