RE: Abbreviations and Acronyms: [techs] Latest HTML Techniques Draft

From: Jens Meiert <jens.meiert@erde3.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2003 09:31:21 +0100 (MET)
To: "John M Slatin" <john_slatin@austin.utexas.edu>
Cc: w3c-wai-gl@w3.org, www-html@w3.org

> [...] abbr title="By the way">BTW</abbr>, I wonder how the linguists
> feel about making acronym and abbreviation synonymous?

Absolutely agreed. Btw, several months ago I proposed at least a more
generic solution [1], either by adding a <term /> element or by replacing <abbr />
and <acronym /> by <explanation /> to offer a single element which is
semantically sufficient for abbreviations, acronyms, as well as technical terms
(which <abbr /> obviously is not, since it per se doesn't even match acronyms).

If the current solution is challenged by the WAI WG, what about this
suggestion?

All the best,
 Jens.

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-html/2003Jul/0009.html