Re: Abbreviations and Acronyms: [techs] Latest HTML Techniques Draft

From: Wendy A Chisholm <wendy@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2003 15:47:19 -0500
To: "Jens Meiert" <jens.meiert@erde3.com>, "Sailesh Panchang" <sailesh.panchang@deque.com>
Cc: w3c-wai-gl@w3.org

Since XHTML 2.0 currently has one element for both acronyms and
abbreviations [1], we felt we should head that direction as well.  We
should clarify this in the HTML Techniques document.

from the XHTML 2.0  spec:
The abbr element indicates that a text fragment is an abbreviation (e.g.,
W3C, XML, Inc., Ltd., Mass., etc.); this includes acronyms.

--wendy

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml2/mod-inline-text.html#sec_9.1.

--
wendy a chisholm