Re: WCAG1.0 Checkpoint 10.5 - still valid?

From: Joe Clark <joeclark@joeclark.org>
Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2003 11:43:48 -0500 (EST)
To: WAI-GL <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
Cc: Dave Shea <dave@mezzoblue.com>

> > The checkpoint itself [1] begins "Until user agents (including assistive
> > technologies) render adjacent links distinctly..." Since it's almost
> > 2004, I'd like to know if that particular "Until..." has come to pass.
>
> It hasn't.

It has, substantively. The guideline does not say "until every user agent
anyone could conceivably use." How 'bout them WAP browsers circa 2000?

> Lynx, for example, still can't show the difference.

False. With link numbering turned on *or* off, adjacent links are
perfectly discernible. I leave it as an exercise for the reader to figure
out how. (Hint: Type the number with numbered links, or simply use the
arrow keys in any case.)

--

  Joe Clark  |  joeclark@joeclark.org
  Author, _Building Accessible Websites_