From: w3c-wai-gl-request@w3.org [mailto:w3c-wai-gl-request@w3.org] On Behalf Of Kerstin Goldsmith
Sent: Thursday, December 04, 2003 5:15 pm
To: Montgomery, Gordon
Cc: Craddock, Michael P; Yvette P. Hoitink; Doyle Burnett; w3c-wai-gl@w3.org
Subject: Re: Examples of language changes in websites

But are these testable?

-Kerstin

Montgomery, Gordon wrote:

	Surely the deciding factors are:
	1. context
	2. audience

	Firstly, any ambiguous words should be marked up - not only in the accessibility sense but where those words are not core to the language
	in question - and for all possible user types. The markup should be:
	<foreign>...</foreign> or some such meaningful tag.

	To decide if a word or phase is foreign to the language context it is
	written in, one criteria would be to see if the author's spell and grammar checker picks it up. That's, of course, if the author does not know themselves that the word is "foreign" [in the broadest sense of that word].

	So: looking at the ambiguity of /résumé/

	1. Context:
	When a user has their browser set to "french" then all the french words
	around our "ambiguous" word should guide how a screen reader reads the
	"ambiguous" word - i.e. as regular french

	Conversely, "le weekend" is pronounced with French intonation by French people.

	Where /résumé/ appears in an English language context then by default
	the local language intonation should apply e.g. English.

	2. Audience:
	When /résumé/ appears in a non-French language context then the audience rule applies.
	There needs to be not only a language setting but and internationalization  setting that says: "pronounce borrowed foreign words with their "native/foreign" or "local" intontation.

	Finally, usually as a block of text is translated from one language to another the foreign/borrowed/ambiguous words remain the same.
	This situation is only trumped when the context language is the same as the ambiguous word or there is a more commonly used local word in the context
	language that better captures the sense of the word for the context audience.

	[i]US English > [ii]UK English > [iii]French > [iv]German

	[i]    Where is your résumé?
	[ii]    Where is your CV?
	[iii]   Ou est ton curriculum vitae? [missing accents]
	[iv]   Wo ist dein Lebenslauf?

	Thanks,
	Gordon
	Gordon Montgomery