RE: Examples of language changes in websites

-----Original Message-----
From: w3c-wai-gl-request@w3.org [mailto:w3c-wai-gl-request@w3.org] On
Behalf Of Montgomery, Gordon
Sent: 04 December 2003 22:50
To: 'Kerstin Goldsmith'; Craddock, Michael P
Cc: Yvette P. Hoitink; Doyle Burnett; w3c-wai-gl@w3.org
Subject: RE: Examples of language changes in websites

Surely the deciding factors are:
1. context
2. audience

Firstly, any ambiguous words should be marked up - not only in the
accessibility sense but where those words are not core to the language
in question - and for all possible user types. The markup should be:
<foreign>...</foreign> or some such meaningful tag.

RI >> Actually there is an existing mechanism.  Use the lang and/or
xml:lang attribute on a tag that surrounds the text.

To decide if a word or phase is foreign to the language context it is
written in, one criteria would be to see if the author's spell and
grammar checker picks it up. That's, of course, if the author does not
know themselves that the word is "foreign" [in the broadest sense of
that word].

So: looking at the ambiguity of /résumé/

1. Context:
When a user has their browser set to "french" then all the french words
around our "ambiguous" word should guide how a screen reader reads the
"ambiguous" word - i.e. as regular french

Conversely, "le weekend" is pronounced with French intonation by French
people.

Where /résumé/ appears in an English language context then by default
the local language intonation should apply e.g. English.

2. Audience:
When /résumé/ appears in a non-French language context then the audience
rule applies.
There needs to be not only a language setting but and
internationalization  setting that says: "pronounce borrowed foreign
words with their "native/foreign" or "local" intontation.

RI >> Doesn't the local pronunciation come from just not marking this up
as a different language?

Finally, usually as a block of text is translated from one language to
another the foreign/borrowed/ambiguous words remain the same.

RI>> I think that is the prerogative of the translator.  They may feel
it is better to use a completely different solution to get the point
across.  That is part of the process of translation.

This situation is only trumped when the context language is the same as
the ambiguous word or there is a more commonly used local word in the
context
language that better captures the sense of the word for the context
audience.

[i]US English > [ii]UK English > [iii]French > [iv]German

[i]    Where is your résumé?
[ii]    Where is your CV?
[iii]   Ou est ton curriculum vitae? [missing accents]
[iv]   Wo ist dein Lebenslauf?

Thanks,
Gordon
Gordon Montgomery