Re: questions on java scripts, life, the universe and WCAG 2.0...

This is a difficult issue to address and not make WCAG look like it is
anti whatever (in this case javascript).

A lot of web developers just don't understand that their web sites are
breaking with all the ad blockers and people who turn Javascript off
because so many sites misused it.  If they don't get that there can be
lots of usability issues with javascript in their main target group
sector, they'll never get it that it can cause problems for other less
main stream user agents.

There is a need to raise this issue and put it in WCAG2, but it needs to
be done with a lot of support documents and examples to educate people
as to why this is a problem, only then will they start to understand the
issues and try and address them in design.

Jonathan has some good stuff at
http://www.learningdifficulty.org/develop/script-techs.html but we need
much more than that.

My frustration with WCAG is that there has never been a good bridging
set of documents to show the general web development community how to
implement these guidelines in general web SDLC and their ROI.

These issues are still relevant, they shouldn't be removed from WCAG2,
but we do owe the development community out there a series of technical
documents that clearly show why these issue need to be addressed and
support why WCAG recommends them.

I also have to admit that while I liked the original direction WCAG2 was
going in I do find the more recent drafts becoming more and more vague.
  I can't be critical because I haven't contributed, and I know the
people working on it are doing their best.

Just my 1 cent worth (I have one cent less than Chaals:-)

Just as a side interest, I filled out a form in Mozilla today, and the
preliminary form triggered a popup from the submit button to another
form.  The problem was that this caused an interface with no access to
Mozilla's Form Manager.  It's very frustrating seeing these types of
what I call design mistakes. Most web developers don't see or understand
that behind WCAG is some good old common sense practicality to web design.

Geoff