Re: Untestable success criteria

From: Geoff Deering <gdeering@acslink.net.au>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 11:39:19 +1100
To: Joe Clark <joeclark@joeclark.org>, WAI GL <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>

Joe Clark wrote:

>> All I am doing is making a point that colour combinations are machine
>> testable.
>

> Not without having the author manually type in every colour value on a
> page.
>
> You are working from a serious misconception, and, like Ridpath, this is
> a bone you seem unwilling to drop from your tightly-clenched jaws.

There is no misconception here, and you do not need to type in values
manually.  You can parse both style sheets and pages.  With style sheets
you can identify the color and background-color and compare their
compatibility.  If you have been informed otherwise you have been
misled.  If you have a programming background you would know that this
is not difficult.  Trying to apply it to HTML soup is another question
all together, but to well formed markup it is not a problem.

There is software that detects skin tone within images using this approach.

Geoff