Linking to a lexicon Re: 3.2

On Thu, 20 Nov 2003, Joe Clark wrote:

>> But this is both testable and normative
>>
>> "All terms  used are available in a linked to, fully accessible  simple
>> language lexicon, or supplementary lexicon of topic specific Jargon"
>
>Give me a break. I won't let anyone tell me I have to link every word I
>write to a lexicon, and neither will any other writer.

Last time this was discussed I believe it was pointed out that you could
readily link a lexicon to a page. That's one link per page. Or one link for
the site encompassing the Voice Of America broadcast transcripts (assuming
they have such a thing - maybe they could ask the NSA to provide it for
them <grin/>) which really do use their lexicon.

The difficulties with this part of the proposal are about how to choose an
appropriate lexicon, not about whether there can be tools that do it. I made
a set of tools for the published literature of an aboriginal language
(admittedly a small body of work, and no you cannot see it - nor can I
anymore, because there are issues besides accessibility in play). Some large
companies use such tools for developing their own content.

In other words, I think you're misreading the statement. I also think that
the proposal is interesting, but not fully developed (then again, WCAG 2 is
currently a working draft, so the proposal is probably at an adequate level
of development).

Cheers

Chaals