Re: 4.3

From: Joe Clark <joeclark@joeclark.org>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2003 12:31:29 -0500 (EST)
To: WAI-GL <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>

Apropos the subject line, what's a "4.3"?

> Moving on to checkpoint 4.3 -
> Assure that technologies required to render the content are listed and
> widely available -- OR -- Use widely available technologies to render
> content, and list the technologies that are required [level 2 guideline]

A terrible idea. Some ancient HTML techniques, like <a rel> or <a type>,
are virtually unsupported. And now we're going to limit what future
technologies people can use?

Why not just de-invent the Web?

In any event, for W3C technologies, we elsewhere require valid code. If
it's in the spec, *you may use it*, and it is not your problem that IE6
still has 90% market share and nobody has a user agent that supports it.
Or, more relevantly to this esteemed Working Group's history, it is not
relevant that the heavily-favoured Jaws program does not support it.

--

  Joe Clark  |  joeclark@joeclark.org
  Author, _Building Accessible Websites_