HTML Techniques and DHTML

From: Kerstin Goldsmith <kerstin.goldsmith@oracle.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 16:07:23 -0800
To: wendy@w3.org, Michael Cooper <michaelc@watchfire.com>, "WAI GL (E-mail)" <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>

Hi, Techniques folks et al:

I am sure this question has come up, but I thought I would try to get
some more clarification since it is coming up a lot over here these days:

How are we going to fit rich-client technologies that are
javascript/DHTML based into the overall guidelines?  It seems like rich
clients are a mix between traditional web content and desktop clients?
For example, making a rich client usable without an associated
stylesheet would be almost impossible to do.  It is also almost
impossible to use ONLY relative units for all parts of the application.
Additionally, there is the question of  whether or not some kind of
equivalent facilitation will be permissable - like an onmouseover event
that allows non-disabled persons to use a device-dependent hovering
technique to view a certain part of an application, where the same
information is available to disabled users only through drill-down?  So,
what about device-independence?

Are we going to be developing independent techniques for DHTML?  Or, are
certain WCAG 2.0 success criteria going to apply only to certain
application or compliance profiles?

I realize we can probably discuss this at the face-to-face, but wanted
to get the question out there ahead of time.

Thanks,
-kerstin