Re: Access keys

From: Charles McCathieNevile <charles@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2003 23:02:56 -0500 (EST)
To: Loretta Guarino Reid <lguarino@adobe.com>
Cc: w3c-wai-ua@w3.org, w3c-wai-gl@w3.org

It depends on the user agent what it does. Implementations such as iCab and
Opera ensure that their activation method removes the possibilities for
conflict. Others, like IE are not clear - sometimes do one thign, sometimes
the other.

WCAG recommends that accesskey be used. Personally, so do I, and that a page
about accessibility explains what they are, how they might be used, and why
they might not work. If you know there is a key that will override a user
agent fdunctionality it is a good idea to try and avoid it, but in the end
user agents have to get fixed or replaced. IMHO