  From: Michael Cooper
  To: W    3C WAI
  Sent: Tuesday, November 11, 2003 2:35 PM
          Subject: RE: HTML Techniques: 'tabindex'

  Hi Jens - there are a couple reasons the recommendations appear as they do
  in the HTML techniques: we aren't always sure in all cases what we should
  say, and in a case like tabindex where it appears in multiple places in the
  document, we haven't yet gone through the editorial process of making sure
  the whole document is self-consistent.

  The reason the current draft recommends against tabindex for links is that
  we have been presented with evidence that doing so actually causes problems
  for accessibility. The favourite example is if you use tabindex and skip
  navigation links on the same page, then the user follows the skip navigation
  link, the tabindex could undo the benefit of the skip link and take them
  back to the top of the page, rather than continue in the tab order from the
  new location. We consider this a user agent problem, not a problem with the
  use of tabindex in theory, but a sufficiently widespread problem that we
  felt it was best to say in so many words, "don't do this for now". Thus,
  what we want to do really is have one technique that says "don't do this for
  now and here's why" and another that says "here's how in the future one
  should be able to use tabindex, but user agents don't support this properly
  yet so we don't expect conforming sites today to follow this technique". We
  haven't figured out how to express that yet in the structure we've created,
  and I guess the current expression isn't working since you were confused.

  Tabindex for forms is different in part because of editorial oversight, but
  also in part because we have some open questions about it: In current user
  agents, is tabindex for form controls in a different "tabspace" than
  tabindex for links? Should it be? Should it explicitly not be? These may
  seem like arcane questions, perhaps with obvious answers, but in discussion
  we didn't resolve them in the timeline of this draft. Some people have
  homework assignments to look into this.

  I would say therefore that your confusion reflects in part the confusion we
  have. Your thoughts and recommendations will be helpful next time we open
  the books on this issue. So, don't shoot us down, but do fire away with your
  thoughts!

  Michael

  ps_tabindex
  [3] http://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/WCAG20/WD-WCAG20-HTML-TECHS/#form_tabindex