Re: Rough notes on WCAG-related topics from AUWG F2F 26/27 September

From: Charles McCathieNevile <charles@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 06:10:05 -0400 (EDT)
To: Roberto Scano - IWA/HWG <rscano@iwa-italy.org>
Cc: w3c-wai-gl@w3.org, Wendy A Chisholm <wendy@w3.org>

On Tue, 21 Oct 2003, Roberto Scano - IWA/HWG wrote:

>Also in WCAG 1.0 there is a checkpoint 3.2 [2] where there is a phrase that
>said: "It is preferable to validate to W3C grammars." As you know,
>preferible don't means "must" so if there are some DTD that are not the
>official of W3C [3] but are proprietary DTD, it seems that these are valid
>for cover this checkpoint. But if a proprietary DTD refer to the "embed" or
>"applet" object, how we can conform this with the checkpoint 11.2 for WCAG
>1.0 (Avoid deprecated features of W3C technologies) ?

One approach would be to change the WCAG 1.0 requirement for preferring W3C
specifications into a requirement that specifications used conform (or are
the most conformant available in the area) to the XML Accessibility
Guidelines (XAG - which can be applied to non XML languages as well). This
couldn't be a normative requirement at the moment because XAG isn't a
Recommendation nor a chartered deliverable, but may be worth considering
coordintion to see if that is a feasible goal.

[1] XAML Accessibility Guidelines (Working Draft) http://www.w3.org/TR/xag

cheers

Chaals