RE: Conformance levels and core /extended

Lots here.  Let me see if I can shed some light.

Core and extended - is based on the premise that there will be difficulty
passing laws that affect people's freedom to express themselves.   This is
another civil rights issue held by people with and without disabilities.

Within each checkpoint there is Required and Best Practice and also
Additional Information.    This is the equivalent of priority.   The most
important or highest priority things for each checkpoint are in the
required.

If you want a   A, Double A and Triple A format you can use

A = Core

AA  =  Core plus Extended

AAA = Core plus Extended plus Best Practice (for core and extended
checkpoints)

No one ever gets AAA with WCAG 1.0  - and those that claim it are always
attacked by others saying that they didn't really do one thing or another.
In 2.0  it looks like we are heading toward having AAA (Best Practice) not
be normative.  But that could change.

Please note that there is one big difference with 1.0.   In 1.0 we decided
that some checkpoint were more important than others.

In 2.0 we recognized that what was "helpful" to some was "critical" to
others.   Thus do specifically decided NOT to rate the checkpoints as P1, 2,
3.    All checkpoints have same "priority".

They are divided into those that can be done without restricting expression
(CORE) and those that involve changing the expression to make it more
accessible without using AT (Extended).   The CORE require the person use AT
or some accessibility feature in their User Agent, in order to access the
content.

WITHIN each checkpoint we then have different priority assigned to different
measures or techniques for addressing the checkpoint.  That is where our
priority rating lies.   Required success criteria are the highest priority.
Best practice is for those who want to go beyond the minimum for any
checkpoint.  There are also often a number of additional items of
information or advisories for a checkpoint.

 Hope this is helpful in undestanding where we are.   I don't know where we
will be exactly when we end, but we didn't get here by accident.  There were
carefully thought out decisions made about the underlying rationale for
these.   This note is an attempt to quickly lay out what some of those were.

Those with questions - please come to the working group teleconferences.  It
is hard for me to type out all the rationale in a short memo - and respond
to questions.   Also, you need to address the working group as a whole to
get the full story.     Please come.

Gregg

Gregg C Vanderheiden Ph.D.
Professor - Ind. Engr. & BioMed Engr.