FW: * FW: Accessible Websites

FYI.

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-tech-access@badger.state.wi.us
[mailto:owner-tech-access@badger.state.wi.us] On Behalf Of Braham, Bill
Sent: Wednesday, September 17, 2003 9:10 AM
To: Access-Tools (E-mail); Tech_Access_List (E-mail)
Subject: Accessible Websites

As you know (right?), Wisconsin has a standard that calls for websites
to be accessible by persons with disabilities.  To meet this standard,
agencies need to conform to federal Section 508 (that has to do with
accessible technology).  The Wisconsin standard is at:
http://enterprise.state.wi.us/home/standards/std605r.htm

Kathy Bergee of DOT has let us know about a great tutorial for Section
508 on the National Cancer Institute's website. Here is the website:
http://oc.nci.nih.gov/web508/tutorial.html  and below is some of the
text from the home page, including the table of contents.  Thanks,
Kathy.

(PS - I'm sending this to two lists; sorry for dups.)

* * * * * * * * * *

Section 508 of the Rehabilitation Act requires that federal Web sites be
accessible to people with disabilities. However, the regulations
themselves provide little guidance for implementation.

These tutorials, in combination with our training sessions and the other
resources on this site, are meant to support and assist NCI webmasters
and managers as you create accessible, 508-compliant sites.

Our emphasis throughout is on the benefits of universal design. By
eliminating barriers that prevent people with disabilities from using
your Web site, you actually make your site more useful for all your
visitors, not to mention easier and more cost-effective to maintain.

Introduction
a. ALT Text
b. Multimedia
c. Color