From: Montgomery, Gordon [mailto:Gordon.Montgomery@Staples.com]
Sent: Tuesday, September 16, 2003 2:07 PM
To: 'WAI GL (E-mail)'
Subject: RE: [Fwd: On reading...]

Interesting *how* garbled words are processed.

If we talk about the "brian" as opposed to the "biran"
the word takes more time to process largly because of the
possible ambiguity with the intended word "brain".

We process information rapidly at many levels:

o phonemes [sounds]
o words [units with meaning]
o syntax [structure]
o narrative [pragmatics, semantics and psycho-social inputs]

Chomsky's universal grammar would have us believe that it is the
our innate knoweledge of how language "hangs together" that allows
us to process what is "supposed" to be present.

Coincidentally the eye does some rather similar cunning filling-in-of-
the-blanks in the field of visual perception.

Gordon.