From: w3c-wai-gl-request@w3.org [mailto:w3c-wai-gl-request@w3.org] On Behalf
Of Chris Ridpath
Sent: Thursday, July 17, 2003 11:30 AM
To: Charles McCathieNevile
Cc: WAI GL
Subject: Re: [#293] Summary for tables

> >My argument is that we should, as much as possible, provide a way for
> >authors to override our guidelines while still keeping their pages
> >accessible.

Not quite right. I should have expressed this as:

My argument is that we should, as much as possible, provide a way for
authors to override our guidelines as long as they notify the audience.

Example 1:
Guidelines say there must be good text/background contrast.
Author uses yellow text on white background and states "I want this text to
be difficult to read because of <some artistic reason>".

Example 2:
Guidelines say there should be clear navigation.
Author has porously confusing navigation and states "Navigation is confusing
because I want you to wander around."

Example 3:
Guidelines say content should be understandable.
Author creates easily misunderstood content and states "I am an anarchist -
deal with it."

Regarding the TH rule: If you really want to have THs in your layout table
then you can. Just explicitly state that this is a layout table.

Chris