Re: [#293] Summary for tables

On Thu, 17 Jul 2003, Chris Ridpath wrote:

>> One technique that could be used is to make use of Semantic Web
>technologies
>> such as Annotea...
>>
>Yes, a nice solution but this may be beyond what the typical page author can
>currently do.

If we insist typical authors figure it out for themselves it is probably too
hard (or impossible - some standardisation is an important part of making
this work)

But what I am suggesting will require them to assign an id to the table - any
value they like so long as it is valid (leaving aside title, class, etc which
they can use as they like) and then put the URI including the ID into a box
on a form and press go. That's it. It should be possible to st this up in
most browsers, let alone editing tools, or make an ordinary online form.

As an added bonus they get one piece of the WCAG evaluation of their page
done for free in a way that is automatically retrieveable...

>If we insist that data tables must have THs and layout tables can't then
>this solves the problem.
>
>The only time you need to explicitly state the table purpose is when you
>want to break this rule.

Right. So if we are talking about how to break the rule it seems that it
mustn't be that effective. The technique I propose doesn't conflict with
using that rule, nor with breaking it...

cheers

Chaals