From: Charles McCathieNevile [mailto:charles@w3.org]
Sent: Monday, July 14, 2003 5:48 PM
To: Gregg Vanderheiden
Cc: w3c-wai-gl@w3.org
Subject: "Header information" RE: REF 3.2 Change "unambiguously" to "first
listing".

On Mon, 14 Jul 2003, Gregg Vanderheiden wrote:

>Good point.
>
>And the person can just point to the dictionary they choose in their list
>(since they have to look at one anyway to see if the ABBV is in it.)
>
>Hmmmm. I hate to keep adding things to the header of each pages.  But if we
>just do it on the root home page (that is the root of the URI) then that
>should make it easy.

This is not as easy as it seems - what is the root of the guidelines
internal
drafts? What about a site that is available in 11 languages such as
http://www.ascii.be or http://www.europa.int ? Not all people with sites
hosted by tripod will use the same dictionary, but some will.

Actually this is one of the things the semantic web is meant to help with.
You can associate information with your page, including what dictionary you
checked it against.

I recently made an Xform to allow people to create EARL evaluations
(conformance statements_ - I wanted to enhance the real-world functionality
bit before announcing it, but anyone keen to get an xforms capable browser
and play around (http://www.xsmiles.org is one, and for people with flash
the
DENG browser produced by Sebastian Schnitzenbaumer and his colleagues at
mozquito provides the functionality apparently inside their normal browser)
there is some bare-bones stuff at
http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/Europe/200305/axforms

Similarly, we could use EARL or something like it to assert that the
language
used in a page or group of pages conforms to the list of terms in a
particular vocabulary - whether that is the wordnet dictionary available in
RDF, some other dictionary, or a particular controlled vocabulary used in
some industry sector.

with the use of technologies like Annotea, the focus moves from the author
having to put everything in the page, to somebody (it could well be the
author, but it could be a third party) putting it on the web in
machine-treatable RDF, and then using an RDF-aware search engine to fin the
kind of data you are looking for - optionally including information about
whose information you are prepared to trust.

cheers

Chaals