Tabindex

From: Lee Roberts <leeroberts@roserockdesign.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2003 07:27:22 -0800
To: "WCAG List" <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
I've ran across a problem with TabIndex.  The HTML 4 specification
states that a tabindex can be between 0 and 32767.  However, a tabindex
of 0 is ignored because it is read as a leading zero by the user agents.
The problem is arising from people creating language specific HTML
Validators.

I think we need a technique that discusses the problems that may be
encountered when using tabindex="0".

Proposal:
Tabindex can include any number 0 through 9 and may not exceed 32767.  A
tabindex of 0 should never be used because the 0 is read as a leading 0
as in 03 or 0340.  Therefore a tabindex="0" would be understood as
tabindex="" where a tabindex="03" would be understood as tabindex="3".

Sincerely,
Lee Roberts
President/CEO
405-321-6372