Re: [techs] Re: Techniques For HTML Rough Draft

From: Joe Clark <joeclark@joeclark.org>
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2003 14:25:47 -0500 (EST)
To: WAI-GL <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>

> 4. What is a major section and what is a long document?

Inevitably, authors will have to make those determinations
themselves. You can't shove a formula down people's throats: "If
your document exceeds x kilobytes of text, it is considered a long
document."

> 5. Can valid long documents be devoid of paragraphs?

Heavens, yes.

Images, anyone?

Flash?

Ever watched a movie trailer?

I listen to John Peel's BBC Radio 1 show for six hours a week. Those
are pretty long documents, don't you think? And not a <p></p>
element anywhere.

I appeal to WAI to free itself from its ongoing bias that the only
true Web documents are those jammed to the margins with words words
words.

--

  Joe Clark  |  joeclark@joeclark.org
  Author, _Building Accessible Websites_