From: w3c-wai-gl-request@w3.org [mailto:w3c-wai-gl-request@w3.org] On Behalf
Of Wendy A Chisholm
Sent: Wednesday, February 19, 2003 11:51 AM
To: w3c-wai-gl@w3.org
Subject: [techs] test cases, test suites

Hello,

The more we work on techniques, the more I think about test suites, test
cases, examples, and user agent issues.  We spent quite a lot of time
discussing user agent issues in today's techniques telecon.

In last week's techniques meeting we discussed the two types of examples
that might be included in techniques.  One are instructional examples to
teach someone about the technology the other are test cases.  Test cases
may be used to see how a snippet of code works in a variety of browsers or
used by evaluation and repair tools to test if the tool is correctly
generating errors.

We discussed how this information would be represented in the schema.  I've
been looking at other groups test suites and test cases.  A summary of W3C
specifications (at last call or beyond) and their related conformance and
test suite info is provided in the QA Matrix [1].

Also, we've thought about how to keep the techniques up to date, how to
include user agent issues, etc.  We've talked about users submitting
techniques, what about user's submitting test cases? The HTML 4 Test Suite
documentation [2] clearly outlines how to write a test case for the test
suite.   Gregory Rosmaita used to write helpful test cases to help ferret
out issues he was running into on the Web.  Gathering test cases in a
uniform way would be helpful (and thus gets back to the schema issue).

Today we talked about accesskey.  Unfortunately, the HTML 4 test suite
doesn't have any test cases for accesskey, although the UAAG test suite [3]
has quite a few.

The Web Ontology Language (OWL) Test Cases [4] almost look like a
checklist...and could be another way to structure some of the test case
information...although it's a bit hard to read.

Just some thoughts,
--wendy

[1] http://www.w3.org/QA/TheMatrix
[2] http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/Test/HTML401/current/htmltestdocumentation.html