From: w3c-wai-gl-request@w3.org [mailto:w3c-wai-gl-request@w3.org] On Behalf
Of Jason White
Sent: Friday, June 27, 2003 2:22 AM
To: Web Content Guidelines
Subject: Re: Issue #8: flicker (my action item from WCAG teleconference,
June 26, 2003)

I think there are two issues here.

1. The success criterion says that content "is not designed to flicker
   or flash...". If "not designed to" is interpreted to mean "does not
   contain markup, code etc., for the purpose of causing it to
   flicker", then I can think of no reason why that wouldn't be
   testable.

2. There is a separate issue regarding patterns etc., that do not
   amount to flicker but can cause seizures, into which, as I
   remember, Gregg is hoping to conduct research. This aspect of the
   problem currently isn't covered by our checkpoint and does raise
   "testability" concerns.

Thus I think the current success criteria are testable as long as we
interpret "is not designed to" as suggested. Issue 2 (in the above
discussion) would in that case still be open though.

Comments?