RE: [166] Organize documents so they may be read without style sheets

From: Joe Clark <joeclark@joeclark.org>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2003 14:55:06 -0400
To: Charles McCathieNevile <charles@w3.org>, WAI-GL <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>

>The content should be available without the use of CSS. (By the way,
>this is a test of whether the separation of content from its
>presentation is reflected in the technical modelling...)

Some content can never be separated from CSS because it never
involves CSS. Multimedia is an example.

Some standards-compliant methods of displaying images purely using
CSS would be disallowed by a surface reading of the paragraph quoted

>A XAG-compliant XML format has a default stylesheet (as does XHTML).
>Perhaps what we mean is that the default styling, for any medium,
>should be sufficient to "read" the content - rather than saying this
>only applies to HTML, which as Joe pointed out is very different to
>XML in regards to stylesheets.

Anyone care to explain that, using as few acronyms as possible?

     Joe Clark | joeclark@joeclark.org
     Weblogs and articles <http://joeclark.org/weblogs/>
     <http://joeclark.org/writing/> | <http://fawny.org/>