Re: onclick and onkeypress scripting technique issue

From: Chris Brainerd <Chris.Brainerd@cds.hawaii.edu>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2003 12:35:06 -1000
To: <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
That most browsers support use of the Enter key for following a
hyperlink to me is a benefit to keyboard accessibility, and would favor
use of href="javascript:" as separate events do not have to be coded.
Checkpoint 2.8.3 in the Client-Side Scripting Techniques for WCAG 2.0
document, as well as previous techniques documents, advise against this
technique because a <NO SCRIPT> equivalent can not be provided.

I have observed that <NO SCRIPT> rarely provides an equivalent
experience, and should not be the sole reason against using line
javascript. Isn't it accepted that users with browsers that do not
support scripting are able to experience some, but not all of the
content that a script-enabled browser would experience?

Chris Brainerd

Instructional Designer

Real Choices ACCESS

Center on Disability Studies