From: w3c-wai-gl-request@w3.org [mailto:w3c-wai-gl-request@w3.org] On Behalf
Of Carlos A Velasco
Sent: Tuesday, June 10, 2003 2:11 PM
To: Wendy A Chisholm
Cc: w3c-wai-gl@w3.org
Subject: Re: Please review: Updated draft of conformance section for next
draft

Hi Wendy, all,

Just a quick thought. We are all well aware that one of the problems of
expressing conformance to WCAG 1.0 was "how do I explain this to a
non-technical person" (e.g. legislator, politician, manager, etc.). The
different drafts of WCAG 2.0 seem to become more and more cumbersome in
this issue. We shall probably start to think that we are not writing for
ourselves, as the abstract says "... and to use wording that may be
understood by a more varied audience."

In Germany, WCAG 1.0 has been adopted as legislation, combining WCAG 1.0
  A and AA into Priority 1 items, and AAA as Priority 2 (almost). We
have discussed this issue with people involved in the legal process, and
basically, there is no chance a legal document can deal with A
Conformance, A+ Conformance, AA- Conformance and so on (not to mention
Core+1, Core+2, etc.). In Europe, most countries are adopting or intend
to adopt WCAG in one way or another. And they want to update to WCAG
2.0, when the moment comes (at least, in Germany). Conformance is a key
issue, and we shall make it simpler.

2 (Euro-)cents from an outsider.

regards,
carlos

--
Dr Carlos A Velasco - mailto:Carlos.Velasco@fit.fraunhofer.de
Fraunhofer-Institut für Angewandte Informationstechnik (FIT.LIFE)