RE: Data and layout tables: definition

When I'm asked to explain it I say that in a data table, there is a regular
organization of cells that have a specific relationship to each other and to
one or more header cells that labels or classifies the cells. It also helps
people to understand if I say it's similar to a spreadsheet. In a layout
table, the cells do not necessarily relate to each other in particular ways
since it's the visual layout that's relevant, there isn't a relationship to
header cells, and there may not be a regular structure to the table. I think
this is the same thing as we all understand but may be helpful in making a
definition for people who aren't aware of the distinction.

Michael