RE: [#248] Data and layout tables: identifying and marking

From: Ben Caldwell <caldwell@trace.wisc.edu>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 15:59:00 -0500
To: "'WAI WCAG List'" <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>

John wrote:

> I feel very strongly that the summary attribute should be required only
> for data tables, and that it should *not* be used at all (or should be
> set to null) for all layout tables, including the first one.

I agree and would suggest that the summary attribute on layout tables be
addressed in the same way that the TH, TBODY and THEAD elements have been in
Chris's original proposal.

My suggestion would be to remove the following two proposals:

- only the first layout table requires a summary. Following layout tables
have a summary of "layout table" or NULL ("").
- layout tables should have short summaries (less than 150 characters
[English])

and to modify the item about the use of TH, TBODY and THEAD to read:

- add a statement that the TH, TBODY, THEAD elements and the summary
attribute should not be used at all in layout tables.

--
Ben Caldwell | caldwell@trace.wisc.edu
Trace Research and Development Center (http://trace.wisc.edu)