RE: [#248] Data and layout tables: identifying and marking

I feel very strongly that the summary attribute should be required only
for data tables, and that it should *not* be used at all (or should be
set to null) for all layout tables, including the first one.

Screen readers indicate the presence of tables.  JAWS does so by
default, reporting both the table size ("table with 2 columns and 22
rows," for example) and the summary if present.  If the summary
attribute contains a phrase like "table used for layout only" (pretty
common) or "layout table," the JAWS user hears" "Table with 2 columns
and 22 rows. Summary colon table used for layout only." (I wrote out the
word "colon" because JAWS speaks it.)  To me, this is much like what
happens when someone uses the ALT attribute on a spacer image to say
that it's a spacer.   It's not meaningful information! And, worse than
that, it's extra noise (quite literally) that users have to listen to
and have to process.

If the page layout is so complex that it requires explanation, just
adding a summary that says "layout table" ain't gonna help.

John

John Slatin, Ph.D.
Director, Institute for Technology & Learning
University of Texas at Austin
FAC 248C
1 University Station G9600
Austin, TX 78712