Definition of "content" and related terms

From: Jason White <jasonw@ariel.ucs.unimelb.edu.au>
Date: Thu, 15 May 2003 11:36:25 +1000
To: Web Content Guidelines <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>

At last week's meeting I undertook to formulate and propose the
following definitions:

Web resource: any resource identified by a URI.

Web content: any Web resource or collection of Web resources that
comprises, is presented by, or otherwise becomes manifest in a user
interface. Commonly occurring examples of content include hypertext documents, style
sheets, multimedia
presentations, Web applications and interactive user interfaces.

See also "element content", "text content", "non-text content".

(I think we already have definitions of the terms mentioned in the
above cross-references).

As a slight modification to the first sentence of the definition we
could write:

Any Web resource or collection of Web resources that comprises, is
presented by, affects the behaviour of or otherwise becomes manifest
in a user interface.

Note the added reference to "behaviour", which may or may not serve to
clarify the definition. Other modifications are possible.