Re: A proposal for a new item in the list of Checkpoint 4.1

From: "Michele Diodati"
> "Checkpoint 4.1 Write as clearly and simply as is [appropriate /
> possible] for the purpose of the content"
>
> I would suggest a new item for the list "Partial list of items being
> explored for inclusion as success criteria or advisory
recommendations".
> The item would be something like this: "Reduce at bare minimum uses of
> foreign words and phrases".

> Maybe the use of foreign words and phrases isn't very common when
> writing in English. Unfortunately, Italian writers of web contents
> (specially when writing about informatics and economics) use very
often
> English words and phrases in place of Italian words and phrases.

I agree with Michele.
This issue will also reduce the necessity of using the 'lang' attribute
inside pages.

Most screen-reader users told me that the 'lang' attribute cause screen
readers to change vocal rendering engine, with some trouble. So it is
problematic to conform to guidelines and at the same time not to hurt
such users (I don't know what to do in most cases). Reducing the foreign
words would help, if not solve. Obviously this is just a side effect: I
agree with the basic arguments of Michele proposal.

Best

Maurizio Boscarol
http://www.usabile.it