Mapping HTML Techniques for WCAG 1.0 to WCAG 2.0 Success Criteria

From: Michael Cooper <michaelc@watchfire.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2003 15:12:44 -0400
To: "WAI GL (E-mail)" <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>

The Techniques sub-group has been working on a mapping of HTML techniques
for WCAG 1.0 [1] to WCAG 2.0 success criteria [2] (using the 8 January 2003
draft). The results of this work has been posted online at [3]. This was an
illuminating process for us and generated a number of issues that we will
make available in the next few days. Meanwhile I invite you to take a look
at the mapping document. Below are a few broad observations that may be
helpful as you go through:

* Four Techniques did not map onto WCAG at all: 1.1.6, 11.1, 11.2.1, 11.3

* Nine Techniques had only weak mappings to WCAG: 5.2, 6.1, 6.1.1, 6.3,
7.4.2, 10.1, 10.6.1, 11.2, 12.5

* Four WCAG Checkpoints did not have any associated Techniques: 3.3, 3.5,
4.1, 4.2

* Although most Checkpoints had Techniques, that is less true for all the
specific Success Criteria, indicating that many Techniques need Success
Criteria and that some Success Criteria need Techniques

* Many Techniques mapped to multiple WCAG points

Michael

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/2000/NOTE-WCAG10-HTML-TECHS-20000920/
[2] http://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/WCAG20/WD-WCAG20-20030108.html
[3] http://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/2003/04/mapping.html