image links and (text)boxes

From: Jonathan Chetwynd <j.chetwynd@btinternet.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Dec 2002 10:02:52 +0000
To: WAI GL <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>

the outlines of image links are helpful for identification,

BBC Education Scotland recently put up some new links, (I had been in
correspondence) which we now can use....
http://www.bbc.co.uk/scotland/education/whatwherewhenwhy/

Can we make a guideline that image links* should ideally have
transparent backgrounds, and non-rectangular** outlines?    (W3C please
note)
and failing on transparency have backgrounds that are easily changed?

thanks

jonathan

*presumably most sites are happy to be linked to, so why is it that so
few images used as links are appropriate for sharing?

**wondering what others feel about the rather heavy handed cartesian,
or western imperialist insistence on boxes?

has anyone seen a small (~30x3) text box that expands as you write?
this should also be a standard by now, at least as an option...
like this but much better :-)

  if (myText == "feedback"){
		var myLength=parseInt(document.myPost.feedback.cols)
		var myHeight=parseInt(document.myPost.feedback.rows)
		if (key==13) {                                             //newline
			document.myPost.feedback.rows=myHeight + 1
		}

		if (myLength != 90){                                  //~page width
			document.myPost.feedback.cols=myLength + 1
		}