Re: The meaning and value of telephone conferences

Forgive me for butting in here (or don't), but I think I agree with Joe
in this instance.

Certainly, I prefer to receive only warm, friendly, witty, urbane emails
filled with clever ideas and incisive insights, but few of us (myself
included) are really up to the task. Most of the email I get is poorly
written and boring. Sometimes it is outright offensive. But even in the
most offensive posts there is usually something of value. I try to look
past the offensiveness to see what the writer is really trying to say.

While it may be tempting to trade some people in for others with better
people skills (read: people who conform to our own ideas of proper
behavior), I wonder: who gets to decide? Is it up to the powers that be?
Or maybe the tyranny of the majority? Should only those who conform be
allowed to participate?

My solution for people who are offensive is to simply write to them
(off-list: never chastise in public) and tell them that you find them
offensive. If that doesn't work, then ignore them. But I'll never
support censorship, no matter how disgusting I find someone else's
speech. Color me politically incorrect, but I just don't buy this hate
speech stuff. If someone says something bigoted and rude, then speak up
and say something positive! Silencing others is the lazy way out. The
solution for bad speech is good speech, not censorship.

I hear Singapore is a nice clean place, but at what price? I'll take a
dangerous and messy liberty over a clean, safe prison any day.

If you don't like what someone wrote, then look for the button labeled
"delete" and click on it. End of story.

Charles F. Munat
Seattle, Washington