Re: Checkpoint 1.2 - handling comments

From: Roberto Scano - IWA/HWG <rscano@iwa-italy.org>
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 2002 09:17:45 +0100
To: "WCAG List" <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>

----- Original Message -----
From: "Gregg Vanderheiden" <gv@trace.wisc.edu>
To: "'Wendy A Chisholm'" <wendy@w3.org>; <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
Sent: Thursday, December 05, 2002 1:04 AM
Subject: RE: Checkpoint 1.2 - handling comments

> NOTE: per checkpoint 1.1, the visual information should also be provided
> in text.

is good to explain "in alternative text"

> GV: suggest we change last sentence to end.   "or give the user the
> ability to freeze the video so that captions can be read without missing
> the video."

> Example 4: a cooking video (level 3).
>
> A cooking video shows a chef preparing a recipe. The chef describes the
> ingredients and the process for each step and then performs the step. In
> this manner, deaf users can read the voice captions first and then watch
> the demonstration.
>
> GV: I suggest we remove this example.  Most all cooking shows can be
> watched with captions without problem.

I agree.
I think that some example could be taken from
http://www.webaim.org/howto/captions/ where there is an interesting article
about captioning...

> Proposal #13
> Reword level 3 success criterion #1 as:
> provide a text document that merges all audio descriptions and captions
> into a single transcript (in WCAG 1.0 referred to as a "collated text
> transcript").
>
> Rationale: This attempts to clarify what goes into the text document and
> for people  familiar with WCAG 1.0 uses the old terminology.
>
> GV:  I think we should stick with script.   Transcript is almost
> universally interpreted as the audio information only.    I think we
> could say  "into a collated script (which provides dialog, important
> sounds and important visual information in a single text document)."

i think that could be best to have the WCAG 1.0 wording, using "collated
text transcript".

Roberto Scano
IWA/HWG EMEA Coordinator
W3C Advisory Committee Representative for IWA/HWG
International Webmasters Association / HTML Writers Guild
http://www.iwanet.org - http://www.hwg.org
E-Mail: emea@iwanet.org - w3c-rep@iwanet.org