SVG Icons [Re: Guideline 3.4 comment (ralative vs. absolute units)]

From: Vadim Plessky <lucy-ples@mtu-net.ru>
Date: Sat, 16 Nov 2002 18:01:45 +0300
To: Charles McCathieNevile <charles@w3.org>
Cc: WAI GL <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>

On Saturday 15 December 2001 6:31 am, Charles McCathieNevile wrote:
|  No, the reason that I scaled it based on the font size is that for icons
| the font size that someone chooses is a useful baseline for working out
| sizes. I am currently working in the AU group on icons, and it seems that
| one of the members of the group uses quite a small text size, or uses small
| icons. I prefer the icons larger, but if I magnify my text I want to
| magnify icons to match, where possible.
|  (The example I used assumes that the pg won't scale very well but the SVG
|  will - and assumes that PNG and Gif images will also be deprecated in
| favour of SVG in the real world - I suspect that won't be completely true
| in teh next few months though.)

Hello Charles, and all the others!

There are two reasons for adding extra comment to this (rather old)
1)  10 months passed.
 SVG is still far away from being very common  :-(
 And GIF is not deprecated :-((
2) I released BlueSphere SVG Icons theme.
Project page on SF (incl. screenshots):

I uploaded tarballs in pre-built format (.png), as most of existing
open-source renderer still fail on some of source SVG files.
To install: you need just unpack tarball (either .tar.gz or .tar.bz2) in
(/opt/kde3/share/icons in my install)
and select BlueSphere icon theme in KDE's Control Center.

I have tested many KDE apps with 32x32 and 48x48 toolbars, and can tell you
that *it feels great*! I really enjoy 48x48 toolbar, and such kind of
experience is lacking in Microsoft Windows.

I don't have much time to work on WAI at a moment, but would be pleased to
answer your questions, if any.
If you want to follow progress with development of these SVG icons - I
encourage you to subscribe to <svg-icons> mailing list on Sourceforge:
and/or to new releases on Freshmeat.

All icons are released under BSD-like license, so you can reuse them in both
Open-Source and Closed-Source projects, without any royalties (just put
copyright notice into your project, and URL to my project, that's it).

|  Cheers
|  Charles
|  On Tue, 11 Dec 2001, Vadim Plessky wrote:
|    On Tuesday 11 December 2001 00:38, Charles McCathieNevile wrote:
|    |   dropped wcag-editor from the thread for the moment.
|    |
|    |   In fact I prefer to have my images also scaled based on my personal
|    | font preferences, but again, the author doesn't know what they are.
|    |
|    |   example code for XHTML with a fallback for an image that is known
|    | not to scale well:
|    |
|    |     <object class="icon" data="mm_tool-svg" type="image/svg+xml">
|    |       <object width="20" height="15" data="mm_tool-raster"
|    | type="image/png"> A multimedia tool
|    |       </object>
|    |     </object>
|    Shouldn't it be:
|      .icon { width: 20pt; height: 20pt }
|      <object class="icon" data="mm_tool-svg" type="image/svg+xml">
|        <object class="icon" data="mm_tool-raster" type="image/png">
|          A multimedia tool
|        </object>
|      </object>
|    (NOTE that I included CSS class for PNG image inside)
|    That should scale better.  :-)
|    Aren't width="20" and height="15" depreciated in XHTML?
|    Of course you can use them, but using CSS properties instead of width
| and height attributes is much better practice, IMO.
|    As you define class "icon" for SVG picture, I guess you can re-use it
| for PNG as well.
|    Please let me know if such re-written example scales better for you.
|    (BTW: what is your testing environment? Opera? )
|    |   combined with the CSS rule
|    |
|    |     .icon { width: 2 em ; height 1.5 em }
|    |
|    |   Cheers
|    |
|    |   Charles