From: w3c-wai-gl-request@w3.org [mailto:w3c-wai-gl-request@w3.org] On
Behalf Of Olivier Thereaux
Sent: Friday, October 18, 2002 7:10 AM
To: w3c-wai-gl@w3.org
Subject: WCAG2 draft - question and (minor) comments

Dear WCAG Working Group.

I have had a chance to look at your latest (public) draft. It is really
a very good document, very clear and pleasant to read, my sincere
congratulations for your work so far.

The QA working group ( http://www.w3.org/QA/WG ) is currently authoring
a family of guidelines documents ( http://www.w3.org/QA/WG/#docs ) and
will certainly be interested in your answers to the following question:

It seems that your group has recently chosen to change conformance
criteria scheme from using priorities to using levels. It is an
interesting move that the QAWG would like to analyse (both with regards
to the guidelines being written by the group and with regards to
specification authoring in general - since this is the scope of one of
the documents in the QA framework).

I think that naming level 1 "MINIMUM" is a good move towards clarity
(which is probably a partial answer to the question), and the
"conformance" section of the requirements document for WCAG2 also
partly answers the question, but the QAWG would be interested in
knowing the full rationale behind this choice.

*******

And now a few comments about the draft... (unfortunately partly written
offline, with only a printout of the spec, so please forgive me for any
mistake that I may make).
These comments are mine, but some of them come from an analysis of your
draft against the QAWG's "Checklist for Specification Guidelines" (
http://www.w3.org/TR/qaframe-spec/qaframe-spec-checklist.html ).

- A first question is about the (lack of) use of RFC 2119 vocabulary to
tag strict and optional conformance to your guidelines. I believe you
did a good job of tagging strict and optional requirements without the
use of MUST MAY etc, and this mechanism seems to fullfill your
requirement to be testable, although there is (correct me if I'm wrong)
no machine-readable version of your guidelines and the spec is not
authored using a structured grammar such as XMLSpec.

In the absence of those (RFC 2119 vocab, machine-readable markup) I
think your conformance section, albeit well written, would benefit from
an explanation of this choice (maybe with a mapping of your
presentation vs a "usual" MUST/MAY example).

- Speaking of the conformance section, I have a small suggestion :
for the sake of clarity,
"you will have successfully met Cp.X at the minimum level if...
you will have successfully met Cp.X at level 2 if
	- foo
"
could read
"you will have successfully met Cp.X at the minimum level if...
you will have successfully met Cp.X at level 2 if
	- you have met Cp.X at the minimum level, and
	- foo
"
I know that the conformance section is clear on this point, but I would
however consider the proposed verbiage to be even clearer about the
relation between levels.

- In checkpoint 3.2, level 2, the use of "display" for any rendering
device (visual, audio, ...) seemed to me as as potentially misleading.
I may have missed other uses of "display" as a generic rendering
device, or a definition of "display", but I think it would be better to
not use "display" for any other context than visual.

- The title for checkpoint 3.6 talks about "graceful recovery" from
errors but the text for the 3 levels do not seem to include this
concept. It may be a good idea to introduce the idea of "fallback
behaviour", etc.

- many guidelines are still quite HTML oriented, e.g "navigation bars"
in Cp3.4. If one of the goals of WCAG2.0 is to leave HTML for more
generic grounds, it might be necessary to move html specific checkpoint
wording to the examples.

Thank you.
olivier.
--