Re: static links for current news items?

From: Charles McCathieNevile <charles@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2002 21:03:10 -0400 (EDT)
To: jonathan chetwynd <j.chetwynd@btinternet.com>
cc: <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>

I think this is way outside the scope of accessibility - it is a basic design
issue for the Web. And has been discussed as such. You could try looking at
http://www.w3.org/DesignIssues (where you might find some accessibility
issues arise - I haven't looked at that stuff for a while)

But basically yes, it makes sense to have a URI which is "the latest news"
and which points to things that change. But those things should also have a
URI that points to that article, and keeps pointing to it (although in some
cases you may well be asked to pay for the right to use that URI - producing
content doesn't necessarily happen for free, and copyright law is designed to
recognise that and allow people to get paid for their work if they so

On Tue, 8 Oct 2002, jonathan chetwynd wrote:

>Is there a guideline regarding whether providers of 'current news items' should provide a static link? and then archive with a more permanent link?
>Please could anyone comment, is this a sensible idea?
>We are currently trying to link to a number of websites that provide current news.
>Some (eg BBC) provide a single URI, and the content changes regularly.
>others (eg Channel4) change the URI regularly, say for instance daily.
>This makes it difficult to link, save in favourites etc
>Both are linked from
>I've hacked some fairly awful javascript which is intended to update the channel4 link, but what a hassle, at least their URI was 'readable'.

SWAD-E http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/Europe ------------ WAI http://www.w3.org/WAI
 21 Mitchell street, FOOTSCRAY Vic 3011, Australia  fax(fr): +33 4 92 38 78 22