Re: Access Key

From: Wendy A Chisholm <wendy@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2002 13:37:59 -0400
To: "Steven Pemberton" <Steven.Pemberton@cwi.nl>, "WAI GL" <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
Cc: "HTML WG" <w3c-html-wg@w3.org>

Looking on the WAI lists, I see a variety of responses, particularly in the
thread started by Aaron Leavanthal on 24 April 2001. [1]

For example:
Gregory Rosmaita thinks it should be user configurable. [2]
Masafumi Nakane thinks we should take a conservative approach and *not*
activate. [3]
Kelly Ford makes a distinction between a button (activate) and a link
(focus). [4]

I would ask the UAWG.  They have a variety of test suites for accesskey
[5,6] and UA behavior is the primary topic of UAAG.

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ig/2001AprJun/0241.html
[2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ig/1999OctDec/0725.html
[3] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ig/2001AprJun/0274.html
[4] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ig/2001AprJun/0253.html
[5] http://www.w3.org/WAI/UA/TS/html401/cp0101/0101-ACCESSKEY.html
[6] http://www.w3.org/WAI/UA/TS/html401/
At 10:52 AM 9/27/02, Steven Pemberton wrote:

>Editing the XHTML 2 spec, I came across something I wasn't sure of.
>If an access key is on a link, should the access key take you to the link,
>where you must then activate the link (with return or space or whatever), or
>should it immediately follow the link.
>HTML 4 says follow the link, but I note that UAs aren't consistent here. My
>personal feeling is that the link should get focus, so that you can then
>decide what to do with it, but I'd like to hear from WAI people.
>Steven Pemberton

wendy a chisholm
world wide web consortium
web accessibility initiative