RE: 1.2: proposed rewording

Well, sound track constraints are (like what is sufficiently artistic to
merit ignoring accessibility considerations) subjective.

The success criteria should be that the resulting soundtrack carries
sufficient information to understand the content presented without visual
cues.

Techniques should be noted for squeezing enough into a very small space. But
in some cases it simply won't be possible to make the content accessible by
sound alone. This doesn't mean that content should pass the checkpoint by
default, it means the content should fail the checkpoint by default (although
we should look for all possible techniques to make the content accessible so
it meets the fundamental success criterion: people can use it regardless of
disability).

just my 2 cents worth.

Chaals

On Wed, 11 Sep 2002, Gregg Vanderheiden wrote:

>I like this -but we can't leave the limits out of the checkpoint and
>just put them in a note.
>

>Hmmm
>

>Maybe..something like this. (Edits marked in curly brackets.)
>

>1.      an audio description is provided of all significant visual
>information in scenes, actions and events that cannot be perceived from
>the sound track alone {to the extent possible given sound track
>constraints}.
>
>Note: When adding audio description to existing materials, the amount of
>information conveyed through audio description is constrained by the
>{amount of blank space available in} existing audio track.  It may also
>be impossible or inappropriate to freeze the audio/visual program to
>insert additional auditory description.
>

>Gregg

>Gregg Vanderheiden Ph.D.
>Ind Engr - Biomed - Trace, Univ of Wis
>gv@trace.wisc.edu

SWAD-E http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/Europe ------------ WAI http://www.w3.org/WAI
 21 Mitchell street, FOOTSCRAY Vic 3011, Australia  fax(fr): +33 4 92 38 78 22