Re: 4.1 proposal for discussion

From: Charles McCathieNevile <charles@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 15:43:11 -0400 (EDT)
To: Avi Arditti <aardit@voanews.com>
cc: <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>

I am not suggesting that there is a problem of listing things that are
specific to one language. I think it is sensible to do that. My opinion is
that we should do it, and we should be clear about what languages things are
useful for (so that nobody tries to apply rules for english to hebrew where
they are not applicable).

cheers

Chaals

On Tue, 27 Aug 2002, Avi Arditti wrote:

>Update: I am seeking feedback from a few big guns (non-technical
>appelation) in the field of plain language and will report back as soon
>as I get answers.
>
>The issue in debate is the wisdom of listing elements that might seem
>weighted too heavily toward one language versus listing universal
>principles that might seem too weak to enforce across all languages.
>
>Any more thoughts from the list?
>
>Finally, I would appreciate any help from list members in Italy to
>translate elements of advice posted at the site for the Italian
>government's new plain-language campaign:
>http://www.funzionepubblica.it/chiaro/
>
>Avi

SWAD-E http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/Europe ------------ WAI http://www.w3.org/WAI
 21 Mitchell street, FOOTSCRAY Vic 3011, Australia  fax(fr): +33 4 92 38 78 22