RE: 4.1 success criteria - proposal for division

At 05:42 AM 2002-08-23, Charles McCathieNevile wrote:
>There will always be more things that we will have as nice ideas, but the
>goal of this group is to make a specification that can be tested, and that
>serves tthe needs of people with disabilities. That implies being as specific
>as possible.

But the "can be tested" and "serve the needs of people with disabilities"
values
can pull us in different directions, here.  And there are different ways to be
specific.

Lisa has once again raised the idea of a weighted-factors scoring scheme, on
the premise that the success levels on the various testable scales are somewhat
fungible.  For some of our sub-factors this could be true.  Think of weighted
factors as late binding to quantization for those factors which are continuous
variables as measured, not intrinsically pass/fail.  It just give us the tools
to fit the rating function better to the available prognostic knowledge.

Finely-divided pass-fail tests with boolean rollup give the guideline writer
better *control* over what the author does.  But flexible scoring which weights
and accumulates the quantitative results on different axes may give the
content producers using the guideline better prognostic *information* as to
the
usability they can expect.  We should balance our pursuit of these two ends.

Al